Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Homely House




It takes a lot to make a house a home. It's an add balance between clean and dirty, new and used, pile to wash and pile to put away. M said to me "thanks for making it feel like home in here." I guess it is true that home is where the heart is, home is where you rest your head. And in our case, home is where you hang your maps on the walls and recreate a room that existed in what seems like another lifetime. Last night I had a horrible dream that Rosie was killed by someone seeking vengeance against me. I woke up to her rattling around in her cage at the foot of our bed which rests on the hardwood floor which is littered with Rosie's pellet crumbs no matter how many times we sweep and suddenly it feels like home! These pictures are of a chair we purchased, a chair we found, a table we purchased covered in my fabric scraps and favorite scarf, on top of which lies some rose petals I found on the pavement outside the laundromat we walked to in our new town. Feels good to have a space to call our own.

We are still missing a few things around here, like furniture, and close friends, but we have each other. We have Rosie and our photographs and our maps.

No comments: