Sunday, January 30, 2011

Something Blue

My sister is getting married to her man in July of this year, after a quick engagement beginning just before Christmas and I am thrilled for her. I believe she is very happy living in Ames, Iowa doing god-knows-what-corn-business-agro-biology. Anyway, for her wedding I wanted to make her a small romantic gift that fulfilled the "something old, new, borrowed, blue" rhyme. My mother thinks that she does not even know of this rhyme but oh she will.

 A good friend was visiting Berkeley when I first moved here, a nice transition to a new home, and we wandered into a Beads emporium. I found a few beautiful blue beads which I decided to make into a bookmark for sis. The lighter colored bead is actually a salt rock. So I guess if she is having a real hungry moment reading a book she can also lick the gift, or attract deer. The book I am giving it to her in I found inside of my sewing box and I believe it belonged to my mom. I inherited my mom's old sewing box (actually just a giant tackle box) years ago, and in the move somehow I missed this gem. It is a 1946 young women's guide to menstruation and inside contains tidbits like to remember to look good even if you're in pain! And to wear your pad garter tight and wash it regularly! And that your cramps are a normal part of becoming a desirable female! As my sister enters into a possibly scary, definitely new, and exciting time in her life I hope she remembers to stay positive and embrace her femininity, but not become a docile wife. And I hope she appreciates the sentimentality of this "blue gift" :)

No comments: