Thursday, October 4, 2012

Museum of Craft and Folk Art

Did you know last weekend was the Smithsonian free museum day? I went to the Museum of Craft and Folk Art in Yerba Buena Gardens in SF which is a small one-room gallery. The exhibit was of Japanese fiber artists called Textile Pioneers. Gallery fee being only $5 anyway, it may have been a silly choice to take advantage of the free day, but the works were gorgeous, and the museum is actually closing in December permanently. Below are all but a few of the works shown.


The artists's statement said that these flowers were intended to evoke the womb and being birthed.




This quilt reminded me of the 19th century "Crazy Quilt" which was a fad among quilters, who could use last scraps and patches of faded and darned socks and broken hems, etc. to create something memorable. My roommate and I spent one craft night piecing together bits of pajamas and shirts to create our own crazy quilt. It is not completed yet because I intend to sew tons of little appliques. I will post photos once the front is completed. (Adding backing and edging is my least favorite part!)

I read about the Crazy Quilt in a book called How to Make an American Quilt by Whitney Otto. The book was later made into a movie but I haven't seen it. 







No comments: