Monday, January 2, 2012

Farmer's Almanac and East Lake


Newly discovered tin canisters full of hundreds of little seeds begging for germination has led to me track daily the best times for planting using the Farmer's Almanac website. The Farmer's Almanac has been in constant publication since 1818 and is a beautiful resource - I think it would be great to get a copy for my classroom and teach the kids more about naturalist living. This guide put out by the Community Gardening Program is also very useful as a seasonal planting guide for the East Bay.
Three summers ago I stayed and worked at Acorn Community Farm, which runs Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, a nerd bank of heirloom, mostly organic and open-pollinated, plants-in-waiting. 

Some photos of my block, round the corner, juxtapositions of plants, dog shit, Victorian sheds, and barred up windows.

No comments: